Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Purpose, Creativity, and Faith in the New Year

The purpose: To make our collective vocation the building and developing of our community.
The use of creativity: To leave our community more beautiful and beneficial than we inherited it.
The faith in: Parents, teachers, leaders, and the righteousness and victory of struggle.
The New Year: A chance, symbolically, to create anew.

As a child I learned to embrace the above principles as a child would. As a teenager the stuff started to make sense, and made me more attractive to the ladies I was attracted to "I think it's cute that you do so much community stuff." (I later learned that I needed a few more things to finally get the girls who ended up hugging me and then falling all over my Thuggy', Pretty Boy, and Sport-Jock friends. I found that the power of music and performance, as a DJ and and musician, gave me just as many groupie-girls as my Thuggy', Pretty Boy, and Sport-Jock friends. Life was good................ As a college student I truly became conscious of the impact that a purpose driven life produced.

It was then that I learned the importance of motivation. I currently tell my children that the word Motivation has basically two portions. The Motive, and the "Ation" (Action minus what you 'see'.) I further detail that once one loses their motive, normally the action will fall off as well. I was taught by some of the best elders that I needed to constant focus on my motive, as the motives may change over time. As a parent, I know truly feel "the blessing in their suggestions." I fully believe in the principles of Nia (Purpose), Kuumba (Creativity), and Imani (Faith) as they are transliterated in the seven candle observance. Ashee.

On Nia 2012, I received an email from the Dave Ramsey Team. The email simply stated "Are Your Goals Realistic? Take the Test. Ask any successful person, and they'll agree. In order to succeed, you must have goals." (Here is the link to his message to his subscribers. The test of the goals was deceptively simple: (1) Are your goals in writing? (2) Are your goals specific and measurable? (3) Are your goals shared? (4) Are your goals your own? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

As an agent with World Financial Group we frequently focus on goals. I'll need to openly share some goals for 2013 in an upcoming self-n-business development training. While the process we use is a great and involved process, I loved the deceptive simplicity of Dave's message. So tonight I leave you in the Roman Calendar year of 2012 and will greet you in the Roman Calendar year of 2013 with my goals. I'd love for you to share your goals with me as well. Let's grow together. Have a blessed year.......Here's a hint .... It's up to you to make it blessed...... I know, some of you still think that it's solely up to the Almighty. (Read whatever Holy book you wish....... All who were blessed, worked for their blessing. Thanks to my mentor John Epting for fully making that point to me in his actions, words, and prayers.) Alafiah ! Ashee ! Amen !

Are Your Goals Realistic?
Seko~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Seko Varner is from Positive Vibes Financial, a World Financial Group team of financial services agents. They specialize in debt reduction, investments, and insurances. Seko is in high demand as a special events DJ and owns an event marketing service. Seko has diverse background in business, counseling and education. Seko is active with numerous Youth Mentorship programs and has a background in radio and television. Visit www.HappilyEverAfter.Be or call 757-248-3820 for more details.

No comments: