Thursday, August 2, 2012

When a Win-Win isn't a Win - Michael French

I attend a lot of motivational / inspirational / educational events. I know that I'm a better person in many aspects because of attending those events. As a counselor I frequently guide my clients into the 'Trinity of Change' (my term) which I learned from Alcoholics Anonymous meetings..... 'People, places, and things'. In those AA classes we were taught that change and relapse-prevention can occur by "Changing the people you hang with, changing the places you hang at, and changing the things you do." I often use this Trinity while guiding my students and clients working as a school and family counselor. While sounding simplistic, I attribute a great deal of my success as a counselor in my use of the Trinity. I also believe that a lot of the changes I have personally experienced has resulted from my use of the paradigm. I've also witnessed family and friends embrace Healthy living, Islam, Christianity, Consciousness, Education, and other paths which have led to the changing of the people they hang with, places they go, and the things they do. While it's easy to see how the Trinity can lead to positive change, I've also seen the change occur in a negative direction as the same occurs with all types of addiction. I'm also reminded of three of my former students who began working as dancers in so-called 'Gentlemen Clubs' for a little money and whose lives have gone downhill as a result of the people, places, and things that accompany strip clubs. Interestingly enough I never acted like a Gentleman when I visited those clubs, neither did the others patrons........

In World Financial Group events I often hear that your business will increase as you improve the amount or quality of the books you read, the people with whom you associate with, and the events you attend. At a recent event I was blessed enough to learn from a giant in our industry - Michael French. Mr. French taught on the value of competition during this session. As he led the packed audience into appreciating how competition drives us towards excellence I ended getting lost on one of his points. Mr. French stated, possibly a light note, that "Competition creates a win-win-win-win situation. You gotta' know when a win-win isn't a win." He continued guiding how by helping to strengthen our clients we also help to strengthen our product providers, our mother-company W.F.G., and finally ourselves as W.F.G. "agents of change." Mr. French continued to teach on the benefits of entering the competition and different ways to compete as I remained on the edge of my seat struggling to note the plethora of intellectual-goodies he shared while also pondering the weight of "You gotta' know when a win-win isn't a win."

As I returned home and reviewed my notes I began remembering the countless speeches my Father gave to me as I was a youth. Dad left for ancestral Glory on 09/21/2009 and only recently have the valued memories of my father become uplifting rather than depressing. I'm now finding that my loss, the death of my Father, is his gain, as he resides with the best. 2009 was a hard year as my beloved Mother-In-Law died, followed two months later by my Father's death, followed a few days later by a life-threatening experience faced by my Mother. 2009 was a challenge. One of the most memorable statements of my Father was his guidance that everything I do MUST (his emphasis) Glorify God, be pleasing to our Ancestors, improve our Family, and lead me towards my goals. Every action MUST result in a 4 fold benefit and held me accountable in a 4 fold manner. I smiled noting how his guidance was mirrored by Mr. French's guidance to ensure our actions resulted in a Win-Win-Win-Win scenario. I recently shared this concept with a client as I guided her into understanding the various options she had to invest in her future by saving her funds in a portfolio of products. One of which locked in gains and eliminated losses. Investing in her future will (1) improve her current financial standing, (2) improve her future financial standing, (3) improve her family's future financial standing, and provide her with a means to continue supporting her church and other charitable interests she has from this point on. "It will be a Win-Win-Win-Win for you." I stated as I ended wrapping up her options. She agreed.............. Thanks Mr. French, Thanks Dad.

What do you think of Mr. French's message. What do you think about my Father's (Farther) message ? I'd love to know. Leave a comment for me below !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let's be improved ! Seko Varner is the lead agent for Positive Vibes Financial, a World Financial Group team of financial services agents. This team is coached by WFG's Team Unstoppable. Seko also has ownership in and works with Positive Vibes DJs and the event marketing service Happily Ever After.Be. Seko has a background in counseling and special education. He was employed for 14 years with Portsmouth City Public Schools (Virginia) as a counselor and as a teacher. Seko has also worked as an Intensive In-Home Counselor for over 10 years. In addition to his business ventures Seko is active with numerous Youth Mentor programs and has a background in radio and television media. Visit html://www.HappilyEverAfter.Be for more details.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Addiction is a difficulty which has a great effect on which
the entire family totally find a device which includes families in
the greens of treatment. Also, he must make sure which often the drug rehabilitation program should make sense to your person.
Review my web page ... rehab addiction