Monday, January 28, 2013

Guest post - Feelin’ Some Kinda Way About Single Parenthood

Feelin’ Some Kinda Way ~ About Single Parenthood

I woke up this morning and realized something – I’m tired!

I recently had a conversation with a married male friend who told me that he wanted to give me props. He was just leaving from a meeting of a volunteer board in which is he is a member, headed to pick up his children from day care and take then to little league practice. I believe it was his day to do so, and his wife would be headed home from work to get dinner started and waiting for her husband and children to get home. On the average week, he and his wife split the duties of shuttling the children around. They both work full time in jobs that are not exclusively 9 to 5, have outside commitments in their community and are active in their church. I was quietly wondering when they have time for each other.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is a guest post from AngelinaD. The full original post ,ay be found here:
http://angelinad.wordpress.com/2012/05/21/i-woke-up-this/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This week, I worked my 9 to 5 each day. On several days during the week, I prepared dinner (my teenage daughter is on deck the other days); I shuttled my children to alternate activities on alternating days; I did laundry; I had two meetings with potential clients, I completed some work for an existing client; I picked up prescriptions for my mother and ran errands for her; I remembered that my inspection is due and I need an oil change; I took the children to the movies; and loaded groceries in the car in the rain. I wrote some things…this is all I care to share – this week. I am not alone. There are many single parents who share my plight, and we do what we do because there is no other positive choice, and because we can.

As single parents, we often find ourselves in situations that tire us out. The best we can hope for is often that we have children that are well-behaved and easy to manage. In recent years, I’ve had the best of both worlds; and at times, the worst of both worlds. So, I can relate; and I encourage single parents to remember to find ways to take a moment for yourself – to constantly rebuild yourself and to rejuvenate your spirit. Regardless of the behaviors we are faced to deal with, our children are still children. And so, we must remember that at all times. We try things that didn’t work and try some things that did. We sometimes must penalize one child because of the behaviors of another, simply because you are only one person and cannot do it all. I’m feelin’ some kinda way about single parenthood because parenthood is hard, but when you are one person, your time and responsibilities are stretched to the point of discomfort. Some people deal with the discomfort better than others. Remember to reach out and access your resources – social services, parks & recreation, community programs. Look into mentoring programs and encourage activities. It has been said that the idle mind is the devil’s workshop; work towards little idle time for your children. Remember we are all working towards the same goal – raising kids who can take care of themselves and benefit their families and the world.

“When I got tired, I slept. When I got hungry, I ate. When I had to go…you know…I went.” ~Forrest Gump

Maybe you asked for your single parent status, and maybe you didn’t. But, either way, do what you need…when you need…and remember your children…to give them what they need….

http://angelinad.wordpress.com/2012/05/21/i-woke-up-this/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Seko Varner is from Positive Vibes Financial, a World Financial Group team of financial services agents. They specialize in debt reduction, investments, and insurances. Seko is also in high demand as a special events DJ and owns an event marketing service. Seko has diverse background in business, real estate, counseling and education. Seko is active with numerous Youth Mentorship programs and has a background in radio and television. Visit www.HappilyEverAfter.Be or call 757-248-3820 for more details.

No comments: