Thursday, November 22, 2012

Sunday Schooled - Thanksgiving...Giving Thanks

Thanksgiving.....Giving Thanks....

     Thanksgiving was frequently spent at a relatives or parents-friends home (according to memory). The fondest of which were always with my pops side of the family. Today I'm thankful that Pops is alive. A while ago Dad was in the hospital and most recently Mom was in the hospital. The idea of being without a parent hit me like a Tyson blow (pre-carnivorous Tyson) . I've never been without either of my parents, the thought of the loss is a bit for me to fathom.

     I've long left the myth of the so-called Indian and so-called Pilgrims alone (I'm actually struggling with keeping quiet while these teachers are teaching my children that myth.......However, I realize I live in America. Attacking that myth will seem like selling USA-Haterade, almost Al-Quida'ish.) Thanksgiving has become a little more to me that the bull-chips presented in the commercial media which has become American culture.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 'Sunday Schooled' is a collection of blog posts from Seko Varner's former blogs. This post was dated 11/22/2007 while Seko's father, Rev. Dr. Samuel Varner was alive. 

Original post:http://drivingmrdaddy.blogspot.com/2007/11/thanksgiving.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      I'm thankful for the lessons and life of Mom and Dad (note the photo of my parents to the left). I'm thankful to be a Dad. I look forward to tomorrow as my parents are currently doing well, but I know that the time is forthcoming for me to be parent-less. That frightens me more than I can express. 
 
      It's weird to be scared for my parents, I used to be scared of them. That fear kept me from doing a lot of things my peers became involved in. As a teen Pops would stay up at night and inspect my eyes and breath as I returned from DJing a party or hanging out. As a teen I was constantly worried that Dad would do a pop visit at my school catching me being a teenager. He did a few of those and the fear of them kept me on my toes. Currently I'm afraid that I will disappoint pops more that worrying about his blows. Interestingly enough that fear of disappointing my parents has geared me towards what people always seem to attribute to being in a church. I'm constantly asked "What church do you belong to ?" Folks seem surprised that I attend a church weekly but am not a member of any church. My behavior is truly more of a function of not wanting to disappoint my parents, my ancestors, and God rather than simply having a church inspired life. I remember the Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan saying that a child first understands God through his parents. I'm thankful that I was raised by Yeshua (Jesus) by way of my parents. My father, the Minister, frequently told his flock "People would rather see a sermon that hear one." I grew up in a sermon and I'm thankful. I could have done without the "Spare the rod and spoil the child" sermon however. OUCH !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post script: 11/22/2012 - Today both my father and Mother-In-law are both ancestors of three years (May their memory continue to be a blessing). My Father-In-Law has remarried (Ashee), and my Mother is beginning to be embrace a life without her husband (Ashee-Amen). Today I am giving thanks for my ancestors. I walk in the glory of their struggle. Their blood, sweat, and tears..... and their laughter, joy, and prayers, has become the golden streets of our existence. Today I give thanks for my family. Today I give thanks for my family who are marching and remembering by mourning the lives of those who were decimated as a result of the actions of the man we call Christopher Columbus. Today I give thanks for what America has become, those who defend our country, and those who struggled to make it what it is.
Seko
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Seko Varner is from Positive Vibes Financial, a World Financial Group team of financial services agents. They specialize in debt reduction, investments, and insurances. Seko is in high demand as a special events DJ and owns an event marketing service. Seko has diverse background in business, counseling and education and has a background in radio and television. www.HappilyEverAfter.Be or 757-248-3820 for details.

No comments: